First off, I have to say I was so impressed by the number of students who were willing to come learn about vestibular rehab on their free weekend. It's always encouraging to see our up and coming SPTs excited to learn and enhance their clinical skills. Vestibular rehab is sometimes an area that is briefly touched on in school which can leave the student with less confidence when treating patients after graduation.
Our main goal of the study group was to enhance and complement the student's vestibular rehab knowledge from school. After completing a needs assessment with the IPTA SSIG student representatives, we determined our presentation would focus fining the students clinical reasoning in order to improve their evaluation and treatment efficacy.
- To refine the Vestibular Examination - Taking a subjective history (key questions to ask) and determining an acurate differential diagnosis.
- Understanding Classification of Vestibular Patients (Central, peripheral and positional).
- How to choose appropriate vestibular rehab interventions with associated with vestibular diagnosis classification.
Here are some small take aways from the Student Study Group:
- Listen to your patient, their history will guide your examination
- Dizziness is not a disease, it is a symptom.
- When in doubt, consider red flags and refer out.
- Recheck Baseline tests and symptoms regularly
- Check Neurologic sx’s/signs, risk factors for vascular disease
- Scan for Red Flags
- Use the Dix-Hallpike and Supine Roll Test to diagnose and treat BPPV
Please take the time to comment and reply to these questions to share your experiences with vestibular rehab:
- As a student or clinician, how do you think our PT schools can improve the education and training related to Vestibular rehab?
- Do you feel your school prepared you enough to examine and treat a patient with a vestibular disorder?
If you would like to know about any upcoming vestibular rehab study groups or join a group of clinicians discussing vestibular rehab, please join our EvidenceCEU Vestibular Study Group on Facebook.
Steven Tijerina, PT, DPT
Course Liaison/Lab Instructor
P.S. If you would like access to our student presentation please feel free to email us at Info@evidenceceu.com